Monday 2 January 2012

80s music making a comeback?

I have noticed something really interesting these days, the younger generation is starting to embrace the culture and music of the 80's. I have to say, the 80's is back in fashion. I've been downloading quite a few tracks these days, especially R&B tracks and as I listened to them, I was pretty surprised at the resemblance to the music from the 80's. Music these days is showing a shift towards the sounds and the relaxed attitude of this decade. As far as individuality goes, the artists back in the 80's had distinct personalities in fashion as well as in music. It's actually good to know that big artists like Lady Gaga are adopting to that kind of culture. And as you can see from the award shows Lady Gaga attended over the past couple of years, she has been the most distinguished artist from the crowd and winning awards for best artist of the year and album of the year etc. also being nominated for various other awards. The synth sound is back in popular music. R&B is also starting to embrace the synths. When I heard the song, Dedication to my Ex by Llyod, I actually thought that this song was from back then only being shocked to find out that the song was recently released in 2011. Not that I'm saying it's a bad song, it's actually pretty good but I was surprised to see how much the 80's sounds had influenced this song and how much it had influenced Lloyd himself. Artists like Lady Gaga, Ke$ha and Katy Perry have also shamelessly embraced synths into their music, and look how far up their songs are on the charts. Many people are criticizing that the artists are changing their styles in music. But it's actually great to see that many artists like Usher are actually welcoming the changes into their music and growing as an artist. Personally, I feel the same kind of sounds in music cannot last for very long, the artists must go with the flow and adapt changes into their music to keep up their reputation. The listeners love new and different music. That's what the singers and bands need to provide them with. But this shouldn't mean the artists completely change their original genre or the type of music that they actually make. Staying true to your original sound is very important. My opinion on this change is actually pretty good. I love it and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

1 comment: